Delivering Quality Programs
Participants will learn how to create a program that meets the needs of young people, build positive relationships with the children and youth enrolled in the program and discover best practices for scheduling, implementing and delivering structured activities in OST programs.
- Program Start Up
- Setting the Stage
- Program Delivery
- Program Facilitation
- Successful Shared Space
Behavior Guidance and
Participants will explore various theories of engagement, learn techniques and strategies for teaching young people problem solving skills and creative ways to communicate, interact and express feeling and needs in group settings and environments such as in OST programs.
- Teaching Problems Solving Skills
- Positive Conflict Resolution Strategies
- Program Delivery
- Adventures in Peace Making
- Tribes in After School
Participants will gain an understanding of the issues and impacts surrounding, bullying and explore the many elements of prevention strategies and support to help create a structure for creating bully-free environments in OST programs.
- Before Bullying Begins
- We Have a Bully...Now What?
- Creating a Bully-Free Environment
Building Healthy Habits
Participants will discover best practices and examine activities and ideas for OST programming to promote good hygiene, nutrition and fitness awareness that will encourage young people to have healthy life long habits.
- Health and Nutrition in OST Program
- Healthy Eating Habits
- Fitness for Youth
Working with School-Age Children
Participants will learn the developmental trends and best practices when working with children and youth.
- Elementary (kinder through 6th grades)
- Middle School Youth (6th through 8th grades)
- High School Teens (9th through 12th grades)
Make and Take
Participants will make and take a variety of exciting, fun and engaging themed activities that are sure to spark interest and excitement in OST participants.
- Arts and Crafts
- Holidays and Celebrations
- English Leaner
Participants will explore ideas, discover strategies and identify best practices in program planning and delivery, collaboration and partnering for high quality OST programming.
- Homework Assistance
- Planning with Intentionality
- Enrichment Partners and Activities
- Creating Clubs
Participants will learn and identify the elements involved to develop the highest quality of OST staff and program.
- Recruiting and Training Line Staff
- Staff Supervision Skills
- Organization and Time Management
- Delegating for Growth
Families and School Relationships
Participants will gain an understanding of the importance of program involvement and building positive relationships with parents and families and regular school day staff and OST programs.
- Building Relationships with Families
- Involving Families in OST Programs
- Planning Family Events
- Building Relationships with School Staff
Participants will identify the commitments required to provide the highest level of services for youth, families, and co-workers in OST programs.
- Work Ethics
- Core Values and Competencies